Wednesday, December 17, 2014

BIBLE STUDY BOOK OF LUKE WEEK # 2 (ANSWERS)

1).   Explain one of the women Dr. Luke mentioned in his Gospel.

 

36 And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat. 37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, 38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. 39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. 40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on. 41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.

42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?

 

43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged. 44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head. 45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. 48 And he said unto her, Thy sins are forgiven. 49 And they that sat at meat with him began to say within themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? 50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace. (Luke 7:36-50)

 

Mary obeyed the Holy Spirit when directed to anoint Jesus by giving her best. She also was criticised by the church then as you may be now when giving Jesus your all. Do not stop obeying the voice of the Holy Spirit even when others speak evil against you. Just remain humble and meek before them. Offer forgiveness, love them and minister to God with your whole heart. That's the "Mary" anointing.  I love this story!

 

 2).   What is the wrong kind of prayer Dr. Luke warn against?

One of them was about a Pharisee and the tax collector when they went to pray. (Luke 18:10-13); "11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. 12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner." Our hearts must be humbler, in a meek way when we go before God.

 

3).   Dr. Luke records many statements relating to the affluent and the influential. Explain one of them.

Luke 12:16-21;  There is no problem with having money, and being success, so what is the problem. We begin to realize the issue as we move into verse 19: "And I will say to my soul, 'Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry'."  Look at two things: One is the decidedly self-centeredness of this – "I will say to my soul . . ." etc.  He talks to himself about himself and claims full ownership and power over what he has. A related issue is his use of what he has is all about his own pleasure! So verse 19 gets us to our focus, to the point of concentration that will help us get the point of the parable. Here is a man who was successful - no problem with that. He was thoughtful - no problem with that. He safely stored his excess - no problem with that.  But he has this focus on himself. And his plans about his resources are self-centered. His attitude is: I will just take it easy . . . I will eat, drink and be merry. There is no thought or mention of serving God, or helping people. It's all about him. God was not pleased with that.

 

4).   What does this book means to you? 

This is a great book, because it shares the thought of mixed nationality, of women's ministry and not just men; Good book!  To me, God's love is the signature of the book.  And, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach the good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor" Salvation belongs to me too. I am so grateful, and I must bring the Gospel to all I meet today.

 

5).   What must we preach in Jesus' name?

We must preach repentance and forgiveness of sins in Jesus' name to all nation, all humanity, so they can see God's salvation.

 

6).   What did Dr. Luke learn in his research on Jesus!

Dr. Luke learned that Jesus took special interest in the less-respected members of society. That would have caught my heart too!

 

7).   What did religious leaders believe about poor people?

Many Jewish religious leaders assumed that poor people were religiously inferior — that God wasn't blessing them because they weren't living right.

 

8).   Dr. Luke reported that Jesus Christ didn't criticize the rich because they had money, why did he criticize them?

It was their attitude that was most important. Jesus warned the rich to trust in God, not in wealth (Luke 12:15-21).

 

 

9).   Who told Jesus they would give half their money to the poor after they were saved?

Luke had heard about, perhaps even interviewed, a wealthy tax collector named Zacchaeus, who told Jesus he would give half his money to the poor.

 

10).   What did Jesus recognized about women?

Jesus recognized their faith and their feelings.

 

11).   In the book of Luke, who was the first person the Holy Spirit came upon?

The first person whom the Holy Spirit came upon was Elizabeth, John the Baptist's mother

 

12).   Name a few Jesus minister to, but others rejected.

The disable, non-Jews, and sinners.  Luke learned that Jesus spent time with all classes of people, which is what we should do today. Amen.

  

 

No comments:

Casting All Your Care Upon Him

Casting All Your Care Upon Him
1 Peter 5:7

Blog Archive